Saturday, September 21, 2013

Dear Family,
 
I can't believe Josh is home... it's killing me a little bit, I'll be honest. But I guess it's just four short weeks and Ill be the one wearing the tag in the airport. Crazy.
 
It's been an eventful week here. First of all, we got to go on exchanges with some sisters in one of my last area's and I was able to visit and teach some recent converts who I love - Theresa Delgado and her family... if you remember.
 
We have an investigator set for baptism on Oct 12th, her name is Patricia. We taught her the other night out on her porch. Apparently it was prime feeding time for the bugs, and I was number one on the menu.  I counted 115 bites on my legs. My feet and ankles and legs were really swollen and it hurt to walk. The bugs here are relentless! I have a picture but it's pretty gross, so I don't know if I'll send it. If I do... just don't post it on the blog ok? ha.
 
In other news, do you know who is from Mechanicsville...?!?! JASON MRAZ. And he dated a girl in our ward when they were in 7th grade. haha. Apparently he's in town a lot because his family lives here... I asked the member if Jason would like to meet with the missionaries because I guess she talks to him a lot.  She said probably not. I tried. I'm just hoping I'll run into him in the next 4 weeks...
 
I got to be a part of something really special on friday. There is a sister here who I've worked with a lot, and she's amazing. Her brother was her best friend... and he committed suicide a year ago on the 14th. She's here on a mission using the funds that would have sent him on a mission. The story is altogether pretty heartbreaking, and she is an example of strength and faith.  I can't imagine going through some of the things she's been through.  We had a special memorial service on Saturday for him, and she asked me to play a musical number.  Her favorite was "I need thee every hour", so I played that song and arranged it in a little different way, and I added an additional verse at the end. I was really honored to get to do that. The spirit in the memorial was so strong. 
 
We also had a lot of success in contacting people.  Our timing was just blessed. It was wonderful. We have a lot of potential here right now.
 
 
So this week was a good week, and I learned a couple things:
  1. The world is full of broken hearts. And sometimes the Lord allows our hearts to be broken.  Because it's when we are broken that we realize our need to be carried.
  2. We can't give up.  If we give up, then we are showing that we don't trust the Lord. It's when we push through, even though we don't know how it will work out, or how we are going to do it, and we plead for help from our Maker, that we allow ourselves to access and feel the power of the Atonement in our lives. No matter what the trial is, no matter how difficult emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically... This life is about learning to trust God, and act on that trust.
Something kinda cool also happend on sunday. A new stake high counselor was called and he was from my ward in my last area.  We had taken him to a few lessons and so I know him pretty well.  He spoke in Mechanicsville Sunday, and at the end of his talk, he gave me the best shout out I've ever recieved.  He just announced to everyone how he knew me, he knew about my conversion to the gospel, he know about my teaching, and he just promised everyone that if they would trust their friends to me that they would be in good hands.  It made me feel so good, and I wasn't expecting it at all. I love being a missionary.
 
Well family, I know you probably got the travel papers, but it's official. I'll be home October 15th, and my flight arrives at 6:30 PM
I'll try and send some pics real quick, I don't have much time. I love you all so much. Send me some pics and stuff when you can. Love you!
 
Sis Skousen

No comments:

Post a Comment