Monday, June 10, 2013

One of the Best Weeks of my misson....

This week was one of the best weeks of my mission.  First of all, we had our last transfer meeting with president Perry.  This was the transfer that determined which mission we will be in, so I'll be staying in the Virginia Richmond Mission.  It's pretty sad though because so many people and friends are on the other side of the split, and when that officially happens on July 1, we won't be able to talk to each other or see each other anymore.  So I hate that....
 
The transfer meeting was really good.  President Perry will definitely be missed here.  He is such a powerful teacher, and he has a unique perspective as a convert to the church.  We had 19 new sisters arrive in the mission on Thursday, which means that Sister Moon and I are extra busy with our calling.  It's the best kind of busy though, and I love working with so many missionaries.  More than that, I like to be able to actually do something to help!  Although our resources are limited, we can make a difference by virtue of our calling.  I am loving it, even though it's hard. 
 
Sister moon and I also got a third companion, sister Pond.  So we are in a trio.  She's been struggling a bit and President Perry asked us to help her out.  She's really great though.  I've worked with her a little bit over the past several months, and we are good friends.  This is one of the best companionships I've ever been in! I absolutely love it.  The ability to get along and work with your companions makes all the difference in this work... and it makes it easy when your companions are your friends.  Even though trio's have the reputation for being difficult, so far we are so good!
 
We saw some pretty amazing MIRACLES this week.  I am learning how to set goals by faith, and that's tough for me sometimes, but I've seen miraculous things happen when I do.  Sunday was one of the best days of my mission.  We have been worried about James and Susan, because we haven't been able to have a lesson with them since they came to church last time.  They loved church, but things have been crazy and we think there is some other stressful things going on.  James has been fighting prostate cancer for a few years, and he has a big time test tomorrow (June 11) to see if the cancer is back... and I am sure that is adding stress and anxiety and all sorts of emotions to their lives right now.  But yesterday, we were wating by the doors and greeting people as they came into church, and we saw James coming through the doors!  Sister Moon and I almost passed out on the spot because we were so excited.  No Susan though.  But James came.  We have been teaching their lessons with the stake Patriarch, brother Whyte, who has been their fellowshipper, so we all sat together. 
 
Fast and Testimony Meeting was beautiful.  The spirit was so strong, and everyone that got up just bore testimonies about the Savior.  It couldn't have been more perfect. Sister Moon and i also bore our testimonies.  I love to do that every chance I get.  James was trying so hard to feel the spirit, and I think he did.  He is really making an effort to feel something and to know for himself if this is true.  Sister Moon and I had an impression during sacrament meeting to ask if he wanted a priesthood blessing, so I explained what a priesthood blessing was and offered it to him at the end of sacrament meeting.  He seemed a little unsure, and said he'd think about it and let us know, then he left. 
 
THEN...... just as church is getting over we get a text from James saying that he would like a blessing.  We immediately called the patriarch, his fellowshipper, brother Whyte, and asked if he could do it.  Brother Whyte said that Saturday he had been thinking about James and Susan, and had the prompting to offer a priesthood blessing.  Then, Sunday, he had that same prompting in sacrament meeting when they were sitting by each other, but he had been to nervous to ask. After church, bro Whyte was talking to his wife on the phone and she brought up James getting a blessing... and by this time he's just feeling guilty because he didn't act on a prompting, and he had decided to call us.  Well, as soon as he hung up with his wife, and before he could look up our name in his address book, we called him and asked if he could come give James a blessing.  The Lord had been preparing him and telling him that it needed to happen for days!  And obviously the Lord was working on James too, because he didn't jump on the offer right away, it took hours, and him even coming back to the church for it to happen.  Anyways, it was one of the most beautiful blessings i have ever heard, and the spirit was so strong. I am sure James felt it. That's been the thing with him all this time - he needs to feel it.  He hugged us afterwards.  He is so sweet, and we just love him so much.  He his really reaching out to God, and I hope he can feel hands reaching back, because I can see them.
 
We also had another investigator at church, her name is Shawn.  She is the wife of a less active member who doesn't want anything to do with the church, but she is strong and has a lot of faith.  She also got a blessing because she has a giant kidney stone and has been in a lot of pain.  They told her the only way to get rid of it was to have surgery, and she has been scared about that for a few reasons.  After her blessing - which was also incredible, she said - "I'm going to cancel my surgery".  <----- holy faith, batman!
 
This is going to be a long letter, because it just keeps getting better. We had a lesson with our investigator Hannah.  She's in her twenties, and she really wants to do what's right.  Her whole family is pretty against our religion, but she loves it.  We have had some great lessons with her, and last night, I asked her to be baptized and she said she would and we set a date. So that, I'm telling you, was a miracle!
 
Lastly, if you remember from my short stay in Chickahominy (my last area) I taught a family called the Delgado family.  The dad is less active and has been for 20 years, and his wife Theresa is not a member.  We activated Oscar (the dad) and got Theresa to church, and I have been able to visit her and teach her a little bit while going on exchanges with the sisters over there as per my calling. And she is getting baptized on the 22nd! And what's more, is that Oscar will be able to baptize her!  Another Miracle.
 
Family, I love you, and I know that the Lord guides this work.  He is so aware of us and our needs and our desires.  I know that we can get answers to life's greatest challenges on our knees.  I know that the power of the priesthood is real.  So so real. It blesses my life so much, and the lives of all of those who come in contact with it's power.  It is so important to live in a way that we can be instruments in the Lord's hands, whether it be through the priesthood or by some other means.  To be able to call on the powers of heaven is a great privilage and trust. I am so grateful for all of you and for the good examples you are to me. I love you so much!  The church is true.
 
love love love
sister Skousen


 

No comments:

Post a Comment